RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/10/2020 19:07 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
IBI-1 - Molekular- und Zellphysiologie
Area of research:
Using a combination of molecular dynamics simulations, patch-clamp electrophysiology, and molecular biology, we investigate the structure–dynamics–function relationships of physiologically and clinically important membrane proteins. Furthermore, we study pathologic alterations of these proteins towards novel strategies to pharmacologically correct protein and cell function under disease conditions. The PhD project will focus on permeation and selectivity mechanisms in ion channels, functional mechanisms of ligand and voltage activation, or operational principles of thermodynamically coupled transporters relevant to brain function.
- You will investigate ion channels or transporters using molecular dynamics simulations and collaborate with experimental electrophysiologists on a daily Basis
- High-performance computing and use machine-learning techniques
- Depending on your interest and experience, you may learn and conduct experiments (e.g. patch-clamp recordings) on your own
- Master’s degree in in physics, chemistry, biology, or any related subject
- Strong interest the fields of biophysics and physiology, as well as in both computational and experimental methods to investigate membrane proteins
- Knowledge of at least one programming language and basic experience with Unix-like operating systems are required
- Experience in biochemical or biophysical methods, molecular modeling, or statistical mechanics will be a strong plus
- Good communication skills in English are necessary
- Forschungszentrum Jülich is one of the largest interdisciplinary research centers in Europe, equipped with world-class computing resources at Jülich Supercomputing Centre
- State-of-the-art methods to experimentally study ion channels and transporters
- You will be part of German Research Foundation (DFG)-funded Research Units (FOR 2518: Functional dynamics of ion channels and transporters; FOR 5046: Integrated analysis of epithelial SLC26 anion transporters - from molecular structure to pathophysiology)
- Applicants and successful candidates can also apply for membership in the International Helmholtz Research School of Biophysics and Soft Matter www.ihrs-biosoft.de that provides a complementary research training at the interfaces of biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as transferable skills courses
- A dynamic and interdisciplinary research group with excellent computational and experimental equipment
- A contract for the duration of 3 years
- You will be employed at Forschungszentrum Jülich, but obtain your PhD degree at RWTH Aachen University
- Participation in overarching seminars including certificate
- Pay in line with 50 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
EURAXESS offer ID: 541269
Posting organisation offer ID: 2020D-077
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.