ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCH FIELDMathematics › Applied mathematicsPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI are pursued at its four Research Centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
CaSToRC is looking to recruit Postdoctoral Fellow(s) specialized in large scale simulations of quantum field theories with strong experience in HPC including novel computer architectures. In the framework of a joint effort funded by the 6th Implementation Phase of PRACE (http://www.prace-project.eu/) to prepare European application codes for exascale systems, the successful candidate(s) will work within a team of scientists at the Cyprus Institute for the development of lattice QCD software of next generation supercomputers. Within the sub-project led by CaSToRC, with partners at INRIA in France and LRZ in Germany, the selected candidate(s) will develop and optimize linear solvers, including Krylov Block and multigrid methods, use advanced parallel approaches, and enable software on novel innovative computer architectures.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow(s) will be involved in the research of the local group which is a member of the Extended Twisted Mass Collaboration (ETMC). The group carries out common projects within the collaboration and notably with the groups at DESY-Zeuthen, Bonn, Frankfurt, Rome and Temple University. Beyond ETMC, members of the group maintain collaborations with the lattice QCD groups at the Jülich Supercomputing Center, Wuppertal University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The appointment will be on a full time basis, initially for a period of two years, with the potential of renewal depending on performance and availability of funds. The remuneration of the position will depend on the selected candidate’s qualifications.
The successful candidate will be carrying out the following activities
- Participation in the research activities of the lattice QCD group at CaSToRC
- Development and evaluation of new solver algorithms, suitable for pre-exascale and exascale computers
- Implementation of codes in community software packages
- Collaboration with lattice QCD community software developers for implementing lattice QCD libraries in community codes
- Coordinating software development activities within the PRACE community. This will include coordinating with partners for synchronising, monitoring and reporting on progress of software development projects.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three referees (including contact information) and if available, a portfolio of software developed (e.g. a github repository or similar) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format).
For further information, please contact Prof. Constantia Alexandrou (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Contact person: Prof. Constantia Alexandrou
Reference number: CaSToRC_PDF_20_06
- PhD student and MSc in Physics, Applied Mathematics. PhD completion required by beginning of December 2020.
- Strong academic track record (publications, presentations at international conferences)
- Strong computational background
- Experience with High performance computing
- Demonstrated experience with large scale simulations and linear solvers
- Data analysis
- Three (3) years of experience from the completion of MSc
- Background in basic programming languages like C, C++ or Fortran
- Background in parallel programming using MP
- Knowledge in linear algebra
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- High-level communication and strong scientific and technical writing skills
- High level of organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (written and verbal)
- Experience with using and programming iterative solvers, such as multigrid solvers, Krylov block solvers, or others
- Experience in using and preferably programming GPUs and/or other optimizing computational kernels in general
EURAXESS offer ID: 559717
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.