ORGANISATION/COMPANYLuxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Materials technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE19/11/2020 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Esch-Belval
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the department, with over 190 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. The department’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars supported by dedicated platform specialists as below:
• nanomaterials and nanotechnology
• scientific instrumentation and process technology
• structural composite materials and manufacturing
• and functional polymer unit
The Structural Composites (SC) Unit is part of the Materials Research and Technology (MRT) Department and addresses the development of the next generation of high-performance polymer-based composites including tailoring and processing of innovative interface and surface treatment to fibres to achieve specific property enhancements and multi-functionality through both experimental and numerical approaches. The SC unit pursues funding and carries out research through industrial contracts and competitive projects sponsored at the Luxembourgish and European levels, and is presently organized into two research groups focused on:
1) functional composites modelling
2) fibre-based composites and interfaces
Within this second group, an additional expert on the domain of composites interface engineering, including fibre surface treatments will focus on developing innovative surface treatments for processing customized interfaces, targeting adhesion and quality of additively manufactured composites.
What you will be doing
The SC Unit is seeking a Lead Research & Technology Associate in the field of interface engineering applied to polymer composite materials with a strong background in interface engineering and surface treatments.
A strong focus is put on the expertise in surface treatment of fibres (Carbon fibres, Glass fibres, Polymeric fibres; natural fibres) towards the enhancement of fibre/matrix interface performance in polymer composites, using wet and dry techniques, targeting interface mechanical performance and multifunctionality, together with the underlying science of composites manufacturing, namely processes related to additive manufacturing of fibre-reinforced polymers.
Research into innovative surface coating techniques including sizing and interface/interphases design to improve adhesion and impart additional functionalities such thermal, electrical properties at the interfaces between dissymmetric materials (mainly polymer materials and fibres) is a key competency in translating innovative solutions from polymer-based composites materials science into industrial utilization and real-world applications.
The successful candidate should be a recognized Researcher is her/his field. Her/his main mission is:
• To promote the RDI group activities and recognition by acquiring funding, managing large RDI projects and developing an internationally recognised academic and/or professional curricula in relevant scientific and technological communities
• To integrate an RTO that is strongly project- and team-oriented, and you are expected to secure funding and manage a sustainable project portfolio ranging from fundamental to industry-applied. These projects will focus primarily on functional / smart interfaces, polymer composites and fibres, their processing, as well as relevant structural, rheological and functional characterization tasks and proof-of-concept demonstrations of the real-world / industrial applications of such materials
• To lead the definition, and manage as PI, national and international RDI projects of high complexity as well as multiannual and/or multidisciplinary RDI projects
• To lead and promote the dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results (patents, licences, prototypes, publications, technical reports, participation in conferences) and publish scientific results in high-quality peer-reviewed journals. Such efforts should be performed in strong collaboration with other members of the group, the unit and the department and will contribute to the development of Research & Technology activities in LIST
• To actively contribute to the development of scientific and technological cooperation networks at national and international level
To carry out diligently this mission, successful candidate should have both an outstanding academic and industrial background and a very strong record of accomplishments regarding publications, patents and project management. Significant experience with application-oriented research is a requirement, including collaboration(s) with industry and transfer of RDI results to public and/or private partners.
Which profile we are looking for
- PhD in Materials Science, Polymer-based Composites Engineering, or related field
- Between 10 and 20 years after PhD completion
- Strong knowledge and expertise on interface engineering applied to polymer composite materials, using wet and dry techniques, targeting interface mechanical performance and multifunctionality, together with the underlying science of composites manufacturing
- Strong expertise in surface treatment of fibres towards the enhancement of fibre/matrix interface performance in polymer composites
- Demonstrated capability to cover the complete value chain from chemical solutions to performance demonstration at composite level
- Evidence of remarkable research productivity (publications, patents, project reports, technology transfer) is mandatory
- A team player with the ability to work with a diverse range of colleagues in an international environment is needed
- Robust track record of independently conceiving, executing and successfully completing fundamental as well as application-oriented research projects, and developing industrial partnerships, is essential
- The following additional competencies would be considered strong assets:
- Experience supervising graduate students and post-doctoral researchers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively mentor and coordinate the efforts of multiple collaborators
- Strong spoken and written English is mandatory
- Knowledge of French, German and / or Luxembourgish is considered an asset
EURAXESS offer ID: 569248
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.