ORGANISATION/COMPANYEuropean Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesChemistryMedical sciencesPhysicsTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/09/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Heidelberg
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
About the team/job
IT Services operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and for the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome.
As part of IT Services, the Desktop Support team provides a broad range of first level and desktop support to the EMBL user community. In addition, the team is also responsible for managing a number of key Windows backend services. They also have a critical role supporting the EMBL training mission by coordinating and administering installations for training courses in the Computer Lab at the EMBL Advance Training Centre.
We are looking for an experienced IT Support Engineer to join our Desktop Support team at EMBL Heidelberg.
- providing excellent desktop support to our internal users across a portfolio of supported Mac, Windows and Linux desktops and mobile devices. This includes system and software deployment (SCCM), system configuration (user profiles, network, printing, email, etc.) as well as issue troubleshooting on aforementioned platforms
- managing system and software deployment for training courses on the EMBL computer training laboratory equipment, including support for mobile computer-based training installations (technologies include Windows, Linux and VDI)
- administration of the EMBL Windows Domain and Windows Server platform
- providing a knowledgeable, friendly and reliable IT helpdesk to our users
- ensuring excellent service quality and user satisfaction through adequate tracking of support tasks, change management and efficient communication with our users
- contributing to continuous improvement of EMBL’s IT infrastructure, user experience and support processes
- identifying areas to automate and improve IT support processes
- at least 3 years of work experience in a professional IT support environment
- a degree in computer sciences or equivalent
- technical expertise in managing and supporting a number of current desktop and mobile operating systems, including managing a Windows Active Directory environment and supporting technologies
- experience in enterprise level automated systems and software installations
- solid knowledge of current standard desktop software packages
- familiarity with enterprise-level integration of desktop and mobile systems including areas such as network access, file systems and email
- basic knowledge of computer networks
- good communication and English language skills, as well as great problem-solving skills and the ability to multitask
You might also have
- experience in supporting MacOS and iOS devices
Why join us
- we offer you the opportunity to work with the latest technology
- exposure to a fast-growing big data environment, operating over 300 petabytes of science data and high-end computing across several centres including the administrative IT to support science at EMBL
- certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- benefits linked to technological exchange and meeting IT teams across EMBL sites
- competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- we are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- to be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences whilst actively engaging in technology transfer activities, and to help integrate European life science research at all levels.
The working language of the institute is English.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.
EURAXESS offer ID: 547895
Posting organisation offer ID: 728413
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.